Saturday, October 6, 2007

Forgiving Others

MATTHEW 18:21-35

Peter raised the question of how many times we should forgive others. The Old Testament concept was to forgive someone only three times. Peter thought that by forgiving someone seven times that was going way beyond the old standards. He really believed Jesus would be impressed with his generosity in forgiving someone seven times. Peter must have been taken back when Jesus said seventy times seven. And even that did not mean only 490 times (70 x 7). It meant that there was no limit to forgiveness. Imagine if God only forgave us three or seven times. Even if He forgave us 490 times, we would have run out of forgiveness long ago.
If a person’s heart is contaminated by an unforgiving spirit, that heart has erected a barrier that will not allow God in. Even a seemingly small act of unforgiveness on our part will create enough of a barrier to prevent our being forgiven. There is still bitterness in the heart that has not forgiven and that bitterness will keep that person from receiving God’s forgiveness. In Matthew 6:15 Jesus said, “If you do not forgive men, then your Father will not forgive your transgressions”. Could it have been stated more clearly? There are no loopholes and no exceptions yet we want to say, “But he……” and then proceed to make excuses why we shouldn’t forgive someone.
Often a person will say, “I’ll forgive him, but I won’t forget”. That isn’t forgiveness if the record is still kept intact. When God forgives, He forgets! The slate is wiped clean and the sin is completely erased. It ceases to exist. If we truly forgive someone, we forget. It is as if the act never happened.
Then Jesus told a parable of a man who was forgiven an enormous debt that may have been in the millions of dollars yet he would not forgive a debt that was probably less than ten dollars. The man who owed the small amount was handed over to his torturers until he repaid the debt. Jesus said the same thing will happen to us if we do not forgive someone for what they have done to us.
When we do not forgive someone, we often do more harm to ourselves than we do to them. We can destroy relationships that we otherwise might have found fulfilling. We harbor resentment within ourselves that is like a cancer. It does not go away but just eats away at our inner selves keeping us from becoming what God intends for us to become. Forgiving someone, no matter what they did, enables us to maturely rise above the situation and know within our hearts that we have done what is right.
There are times when we refuse to forgive someone when we are really the ones who need to be forgiven. We have done wrong and blame the other person. An unforgiving spirit blinds us to reality. Sometimes we refuse to forgive others in order to shield our own wrongs. Even if we believe that we have not done anything wrong but someone believes we have, we can take a mature step forward and ask to be forgiven. The person may respond graciously and also ask for forgiveness but even if they don’t we will have done the right thing and opened the door to allow God to forgive us of our sins.
Pray today that God will reveal to you anything for which you need to forgive others. Tell God that you forgive the person and ask for His forgiveness that you have harbored the unforgiveness in your heart. Then ask Him to open the door and allow you an opportunity to go to the person and tell them that you forgive him or her. Ask God to allow you an opportunity to pray with that person. Pray now for that person and your relationship with him or her.
Father, as I come to you today, I confess that I have a difficult time forgiving someone when they have done wrong to me. There are times when I have been in the wrong and because of my pride, I refuse to admit that I was in the wrong rather than the other person. Please forgive me of my pride and break my unforgiving spirit so that I can receive Your forgiveness. Help me to forgive anyone of anything anytime and as often as is required just as you will forgive me of anything as often as in needed. Please help me not to take advantage of your forgiveness and use it as an excuse to sin. I know that I can never be as gracious and forgiving as you are but please help me as I try to do so.
Thank you so much for the sacrifice You made by allowing your Son to die on the cross for my sins. Help me to show my gratitude by forgiving others. Amen.